Last year, as this year, there was a bit of a population explosion. One of those having a child was a friend of mine from work. Tried as I might though, I was a bit late in getting this done. Only by a few days, mind you, but late nonetheless.
The yarn is the Superwash Merino from Tess’ Designer Yarns in the Confetti colorway. At the time, I really didn’t want to do any pastels or what I think of as baby colors. I would joking call this, “Can’t lose your child knitting.”
As you can see, I just did mitered squares. I kept on adding squares until I was done with the first skein of yarn, which determined the size. (There were only two skeins, total.) I believe I used my 7US Brittany walnut needles, which I love to work with.
I was kind of surprised by how some of the colors dominate the blanket. I can’t say that I was expecting that. I was hoping for a more even distribution.
I also wish there was a way that this could have been done without there being a right side and a wrong side (the side where the pick-up ridge can be seen.) For items like scarves and blankets, I want them to be completely reversible because that is the way they are used in real life. It is a minor thing, but if you know of a way around it, please tell me. I have seen where people sew a backing onto baby blankets to hide the wrong side of the knitted fabric, but I had no desire to sew each of those corners. Besides, I didn’t have access to a sewing machine at the time.